2017 Happy Trails Parade Winners Announced
Adults clapped and children cheered as dancers tumbled, tractors rumbled and live bands doubled the energy of the crowd along Outer Highway 18 in The Village during the third annual Happy Trails Parade last month. The event, which took place on September 30, added a street fair on Powhatan Road to the festivities for the first time this year.
“This year’s event has been the biggest one yet,” said Event Coordinator Kenneth Sousa. “We were very fortunate to have more than 50 entries in our parade and more than 40 vendor booths at the street fair.”
Contestants in the float, school marching band, equestrian, cheer and wheels categories were all eligible for cash prizes donated by The Village Property and Business Improvement District board members. Certain categories held only one or two entries with the winner taking home the first-place prize money.
This year’s winning entries were recognized at the October 24 council meeting. They were:
Best Overall – Sponsored by Big Apple Automotive
• 1st Desert Rocks Film & Music – Float (TIE)
• 1st Apple Valley Animal Services – Float (TIE)
• 2nd Mojajve Historical Society
School Marching Band Category
• 1st Granite Hills Mighty Cougars
• 2nd Sitting Bull Academy & Vanguard Preparatory
• 3rd Apple Valley High School
Drill & Cheer Category
• 1st Apple Valley Rattlers
• 2nd PCM Cheer & Tumbling
• 1st High Desert Antique Power Association (TIE)
• 1st Drylie Clan Builds Memories (TIE)
• 2nd Messenger Family, 1930 Ford Model A Sports Coupe
• 1st Kathy Bradigan
“I would like to congratulate all of this year’s applicants for their enthusiasm and dedication,” said Sousa. “We are excited to see the culture growing here as The Village District draws more businesses and residents to its unique history. These events continue long traditions and bring Apple Valley’s past back to life.”
For more information on The Village in Apple Valley, visit www.applevalleyvillage.com or call 760-240-7000 x7075.