The CDBG program was initiated by the Housing and Community Development Act (HCDA) of 1974. as a means to provide decent affordable housing, a suitable living environment, and economic opportunities, principally for persons of low and moderate income.
Objectives and Outcomes
CDBG National objectives and performance/outcome measures established by HUD provide the foundation for assigning priorities to needs for which funding may be allocated. The following are the national objectives that guide the allocation of funding in Apple Valley and Victorville:
Benefit low and moderate income persons;
- Aid in the prevention or elimination of slums and blight;
- Meet other community development needs having a particular urgency.
Each activity funded by CDBG must meet at least one of the following HUD performance objectives and outcome measures established as specified in the Federal Register Notice dated March 7, 2006. The following are the CDBG performance objectives that guide the allocation of investments in Apple Valley:
- Enhance suitable living environments.
- Create decent and affordable housing.
- Promote economic opportunities, especially for low- and moderate-income households.
Projects are required to meet specific outcome measures that are related to at least one of the following:
- Sustainability (Promoting Livable or Viable Communities)
To receive its annual CDBG entitlement grant, a grantee must develop and submit to HUD the following primary documents:
- Consolidated Plan. The Consolidated Plan is a five-year planning tool that provides an assessment of the Consortium’s community development need, proposes strategies to address those needs and identifies specific activities to implement those strategies;
- Annual Action Plan. The Annual Action Plan is a yearly plan that identifies the specific activities and projects to be undertaken with CDBG funds during that program year and;
- The Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER). This document reports the Consortium’s completion of project and activities as outlined within the Consolidated and Action Plans and the expenditure of CDBG at the end of each year.