Protect Yourself During Earthquake Shaking!
As with many emergencies the top three things you can do to help yourself and your family are:
Taking the proper actions, such as “Drop, Cover, and Hold On”, can save lives and reduce your risk of death and injury. During earthquakes, drop to the floor, take cover under a sturdy desk or table, and hold on to it firmly. Be prepared to move with it until the shaking stops.
The area near the exterior walls of a building is the most dangerous place to be. Windows, facades and architectural details are often the first parts of the building to collapse. To stay away from this danger zone, stay inside if you are inside and outside if you are outside.
Check out these websites
- http://www.data.scec.org/ (Southern California Earthquake Data Center)
- http://dropcoverholdon.org/ (dropcoverholdon.org/espanol)
- www.earthquakecountry.org (Earthquake Country Alliance/Southern California Earthquake Center)
- www.espfocus.org (Emergency Survival Program)
- www.redcross.org (American Red Cross)