You now have the convenience of printing your application from our website. Save time by completing your forms prior to visiting the Planning Division. If you need assistance completing your application, please contact us at 760-240-7000; extension 7200.
The Application Process
The process before the staff, Planning Commission, or Council may appear from the steps listed below to be complicated and time consuming. But, in fact, the process can be completed fairly quickly. Listed below are the normal steps in the public hearing process for an item that is submitted for review by the Planning Commission and/or Town Council.
Please remember that to conform to State laws regarding public notice and conformance to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), requests submitted to the Commission for review and possible approval require time to complete. Staff generally completes the following steps in the review process before the application is decided upon:
- Contact at the Planning Division counter or by phone;
- Submission/discussion with the Development Advisory Board (optional and free);
- Formal submittal of a completed application to the Planning Division;
- Staff determination that an application is complete;
- Environmental review and determination completed by staff;
- Distribution of project to outside agencies as applicable;
- Determination of Legal Noticing requirements;
- Legal Notice submitted to the local newspaper for publishing;
- Staff conducts and completes full analysis of the request;
- Staff completes analysis and report to Planning Commission;
- Commission Public Hearing/Decision of the Commission;
- Ten (10) day appeal period of the Commission's decision;
- Applicant may begin activity (unless an Appeal has been filed);
- If an Appeal is filed, staff prepares another Legal Notice and submits it to the local newspaper for publishing;
- Staff conducts and completes a full analysis of the request, considering the new information submitted with the Appeal;
- Staff completes analysis and report to Town Council;
- Council Public Hearing/Decision of the Council;
- If Appeal is approved, the activity may not commence;
- If the Appeal is denied applicant may begin activity.
While the above is an extensive process, the process has been streamlined to such an extent that processing a request generally only takes between 30 and 60 days to complete from the time the application is deemed complete to the scheduled hearing before the Planning Commission (unless an Appeal must go to the Town Council, which adds roughly 45 days to the process). For projects or requests that are anticipated to have no environmental impacts or effects, the time frame is usually closer to the 30 day period. For those projects or activities that may have some environmental impacts that must be mitigated, the time frame is closer to the 60 day period. For large projects or developments that will involve the preparation of an Environmental Impact Report (EIR), the time needed to create and review that document must be added to the time frames noted above.