APPLE VALLEY TOWN COUNCIL/
August 23, 2011
CLOSED SESSION BEGINS AT 5:00 P.M.
REGULAR SESSION BEGINS AT 6:30 P.M.
The meeting will occur in the Council Chambers located at 14955 Dale Evans Parkway in Apple Valley, California.
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION IS INVITED. Any member of the public may speak on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Council/Redevelopment Agency. If you wish to be heard on any item on the closed session or remaining items of this Regular Meeting agenda, including matters not on the agenda but within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Council/Redevelopment Agency, please so indicate by filling out a REQUEST TO SPEAK form and place the request in the Speaker Request Box on the table near the Town Clerk or hand to the Town Clerk at the beginning of the meeting or before the item or matter is heard. No action or discussion shall be undertaken on any item not appearing on the posted agenda, except that members of the Town Council/Redevelopment Agency or its staff may briefly respond to statements made or questions posed by persons exercising their public testimony rights under Section 54954.3. Public Comments are limited to three (3) minutes per speaker.
The Town of Apple Valley recognizes its obligation to provide equal access to those individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Town Clerk’s Office at (760) 240-7000 two working days prior to the scheduled meeting for any requests for reasonable accommodations.
Materials related to an item on this agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in the Town Clerk’s Office at 14955 Dale Evans Parkway, Apple Valley, CA during normal business hours. Such documents are also available on the Town of Apple Valley website at www.applevalley.org subject to staff’s ability to post the documents before the meeting.
Coleman_____, Emick_____, Roelle_____, Mayor Pro Tem Stanton_____, Mayor Nassif_____.
(WHERE APPROPRIATE OR DEEMED NECESSARY, ACTION MAY BE TAKEN ON ANY ITEM LISTED IN THE AGENDA)
TOWN COUNCIL/REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY CLOSED SESSION
1. Closed Session
A. Conference with Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of the Government Code Section 54956.9 (one or more potential cases).
CALL TO ORDER THE REGULAR SESSION OF THE TOWN COUNCIL/REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY MEETING – 6:30 p.m.
Pastor Chris Gillespie, Apple Valley Baptist Church
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE:
Military Banner Presentation for Jordan Hill – Kathie Martin
Teen Volunteers – Alicia Dannelly
APPLE VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE – BUSINESS RETENTION UPDATE
COUNCILMEMBER COMMENTS AND COMMITTEE/COMMISSION PARTICIPATION
TOWN COUNCIL ANNOUNCEMENTS
Suggested items for next agenda:
Time, Date & Place for Next Town Council Regular Meeting:
A. Regular Meeting – Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 6:30 p.m. – Council Chambers
TOWN COUNCIL/REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY CONSENT AGENDA
Recommendation: Adopt all below listed items on the Consent Agenda in one motion. The Consent Agenda is composed of routine non-controversial items of business and will be adopted in whole in one motion unless a request is made by a Council Member to remove a specific item.
3. Claimant – Christa White
Reject the claim of Christa White
4. Cooperative Agreement With County Of San Bernardino For Chip Seal On Central And Joshua Road
That the Town Council approve the attached agreement with the County of San Bernardino for Joshua and Central Road chip seal project.
5. Fee Waiver Request for the Salvation Army Thanksgiving Day Dinner November 24, 2011 at James Woody Community Center
For good cause shown, and finding a waiver will serve a public purpose, approve the waiver of the Facility Rental Fee of $110.80.
6. A Resolution Setting The Time And Place For A Public Hearing On Trash User Fee Increases In An Amount Of Between 0.71% And 4.19% And Providing Direction To Staff To Proceed With The Special Notice Proceeding As Required By Law
Town Council adopt Resolution 2011- 42 stating its intention to hold a Public Hearing to increase trash user fees based on the attached schedule and direct staff to proceed with the special notice as required by law.
REPORTS, REQUESTS AND COMMUNICATIONS
BUSINESS OF THE COUNCIL
7. Discussion Of Public Facility Naming Rights In Exchange For A Financial Contribution.
Provide direction to staff for development of a formal policy to be brought back for adoption.
8. Resolution Of Intention And Introduction Of Town Ordinance To Amend The Contract Between The Board Of Administration Of The California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CALPERS) And The Town Of Apple Valley To Implement California Government Code Section 20475 (Different Level Of Benefits), Section 21354 (2% @ 55 Formula) And Section 20037 (Three-Year Final Compensation) For All Local Miscellaneous Members.
1. Adopt of Resolution No. 2011-43, Resolution of Intention to amend the contract between the Board of Administration of the California Public Employees’ Retirement System and the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley as it relates to these benefit changes;
2. Move to waive the reading of Ordinance No. 423 in its entirety and read by title only.
3. Move to introduce Ordinance No. 423, authorizing an amendment to the contract.
TOWN MANAGER’S COMMENTS & LEGISLATIVE UPDATE
DEPARTMENTAL REPORTS AND BUSINESS:
Further Closed Session, if necessary and if not completed during the above 6:30 p.m. portion of this agenda, including any or all items described in that portion of this agenda. Reportable actions during closed session will be announced.