APPLE VALLEY TOWN COUNCIL/
JULY 28, 2015
PLEASE SILENCE CELL PHONES AND PAGERS UPON ENTERING THE CHAMBERS
The meeting will occur in the Council Chambers located at 14955 Dale Evans Parkway in Apple Valley, California.
This is an agenda for the scheduled meeting of the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley.
This agenda contains a brief description of each item of business to be considered at today’s meeting. In accordance with the Brown Act, this meeting agenda is posted at least 72 hours prior to the regularly scheduled meeting. The agenda, its supporting documents and all writings received by the Town Council related to these items are public records and available for review during regular business hours in the Town Clerk’s office in the Town Council Chambers. The agenda and its supporting documents, along with live and archived video of the meeting, can be viewed online at http://www.applevalley.org. However, the online agenda may not include all available supporting documents or the most current version of documents.
Materials related to an item on this agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in the Town Clerk’s Office at 14955 Dale Evans Parkway, Apple Valley, CA during normal business hours. Such documents are also available on the Town of Apple Valley website at www.applevalley.org subject to staff’s ability to post the documents before the meeting.
Items listed on the Consent Calendar are expected to be routine and non-controversial and, unless the Town Council directs that an item be held for further discussion, the entire Consent Calendar will be acted upon as the first item of business. If the Town Council directs that an item listed on the Consent Calendar be held for further discussion, the item will be addressed immediately after approval of the Consent Calendar.
In accordance with the Rules of Procedure, members of the public may address the Town Council on any item on the agenda and on any matter that is within the Town Council’s jurisdiction. To address the Town Council regarding an item, complete and submit the yellow card entitled Request to Speak. Please indicate on the card whether you are speaking under Public Comments or on an item that is listed on the agenda and please list the item number.
When called, approach the podium and please state your name before giving your presentation. Speakers may address the Town Council for up to three (3) minutes. Speakers are to address the Town Council as a whole through the Presiding Officer. Comments to individual Council Members and/or staff are not permitted.
Individuals, who demonstrate disruptive conduct during Town Council meetings that prevent the Town Council from conducting its meeting in an orderly manner, are guilty of a misdemeanor as stated in PC403, disrupting a public meeting, and are subject to removal from the chambers or arrest.
The Town of Apple Valley recognizes its obligation to provide equal access to those individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Town Clerk’s Office at (760) 240-7000 two working days prior to the scheduled meeting for any requests for reasonable accommodations.
TOWN COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING
CALL TO ORDER THE TOWN COUNCIL REGULAR MEETING – 6:30 p.m.
Bishop_____, Emick_____, Nassif_____, Mayor Pro Tem Stanton_____, Mayor Cusack_____.
(WHERE APPROPRIATE OR DEEMED NECESSARY, ACTION MAY BE TAKEN ON ANY ITEM LISTED IN THE AGENDA)
INVOCATION: Pastor Kristopher Schaal, Life Point Baptist Church
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE:
COUNCILMEMBER COMMENTS AND COMMITTEE/COMMISSION PARTICIPATION
Boards, Committees and Commissions
TOWN COUNCIL ANNOUNCEMENTS
Suggested items for future agenda:
Time, Date & Place for Next Town Council Regular or Special Meeting:
A. Regular Meeting – Tuesday, August 11, 2015 – Council Chambers at 6:30 p.m.
TOWN COUNCIL CONSENT AGENDA
Recommendation: Adopt all below listed items on the Consent Agenda in one motion. The Consent Agenda is composed of routine non-controversial items of business and will be adopted in whole in one motion unless a request is made by a Council Member to remove a specific item.
1. Approval of Minutes of the Town Council
A. Regular Meeting – July 14, 2015
That the Town Council approve the subject minutes as part of the consent agenda.
2. Application to San Bernardino Associated Governments (SANBAG) for Local Transportation Funds – Article 8 – Other Purpose Claim
Authorize the Assistant Town Manager - Finance & Administration to apply for remaining Local Transportation Funds – Article 8 – Other Purpose Claim in the amount of $639,202 for Fiscal Year 2014-2015.
3. Adopt Ordinance No. 470, an Ordinance of the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley, Adding Chapter 8.38 to Title 8 (Buildings and Construction) of the Town of Apple Valley Municipal Code Relating to Permitting of Small Residential Rooftop Solar Systems
Adopt Ordinance No. 470.
4. Adopt Ordinance No. 471, An Ordinance of the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley, Modifying Chapter 9.77 of the Municipal Code as it Relates to Modifications to Existing Wireless Telecommunication Towers and Antennas Consistent with Federal Law
Adopt Ordinance No. 471.
5. A Request to Consider an Amendment to Title 9 “Development Code” of the Town of Apple Valley Municipal Code by Modifying Section 9.74.110 (G) "Digital Advertising Displays" of Chapter 9.74 “Signs And Advertising Displays”
Move to open the public hearing and take testimony.
Close the public hearing. Then:
1. Determine that, pursuant to Section 15061(b)(3) of the State Guidelines to Implement the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the project is exempt from environmental review because the activity is covered by the general rule that CEQA applies only to projects that have the potential for causing a significant effect on the environment. Where it can be seen with certainty that there is no possibility that the activity in question, the proposed Code Amendment, may have a significant effect on the environment, the activity is not subject to CEQA.
2. Find the facts presented within the staff report support the required Findings for approval of an amendment to the Development Code, and adopt the Findings.
3. Find that the proposed Town Council Ordinance is consistent with the Goals and Objectives of the adopted Town of Apple Valley General Plan and that it is necessary to preserve the health, safety and general welfare of the citizens of Apple Valley.
4. Move to waive the reading of Ordinance No. 472 in its entirety and read by title only.
5. Introduce Ordinance No. 472, revising Title 9 "Development Code" of the Town of Apple Valley Municipal Code by amending Section 9.74.110(G) "Digital Advertising Displays" of Chapter 9.74 “Signs and Advertising Displays”.
6. Direct staff to file a Notice of Exemption.
6. A Resolution of the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley, California, Amending and Establishing Specified Fees for Town Services
Adopt Resolution Number 2015-27, a Resolution of the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley, California, amending and reducing specified fees for certain permits often requiring one inspection.
REPORTS, REQUESTS AND COMMUNICATIONS
BUSINESS OF THE COUNCIL
7. Selection of Town Council Voting Delegate and Voting Alternate to League of California Cities’ 2015 Annual Conference
Nominate one (1) Council Member as voting delegate and two (2) Council Members as voting alternates representing the Town of Apple Valley at the League of California Cities’ 2015 Annual Conference.
TOWN MANAGER’S COMMENTS & LEGISLATIVE UPDATE
DEPARTMENTAL REPORTS AND BUSINESS:
8. Closed Session
A. Conference with Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation – Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Paragraph (2) of subdivision (d) of Section 54956.9: one or more potential cases.
B. Conference with Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation – Initiation of litigation pursuant to Paragraph (4) of subdivision (d) of Section 54956.9: one potential case.
C. Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation – Pursuant to Paragraph (1) of subdivision (d) of Government Code Section 54956.9, Case Name: Application No. 14-01-002, In the Matter of the Application of Park Water Company-Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company Water System (U346W) for Authority to Increase Rate Charges for Water Service by $3,127,463.00 or 14.88% in 2015, $2,056,455.00 or 8.48% in 2016, and $2,160,731.00 or 8.19% in 2017.
D. Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation – Pursuant to Paragraph (1) of subdivision (d) of Government Code Section 54956.9, Case Name: Application No. 14-11-013 Joint Application of Liberty Utilities Co., Liberty WWH, Inc., Western Water Holdings, LLC, Park Water Company (U314W), and Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company (U346W) for Authority for Liberty Utilities Co. to Acquire and Control Park Water Company and Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company.
E. Conference with Real Property Negotiators – Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.8. Property: Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company; Authority Negotiator: Town Manager; Negotiating Parties: Chris Schilling, Chief Executive Officer, Park Water Company, The Carlyle Group, Carlyle Infrastructure Partners, Western Water Holdings LLC, Tony Penna, General Manager, Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company; Under Negotiation: Price and Terms of Payment.
F. Negotiations with Real Property Negotiator – Parcel Number: 3112-181-01 located at Highway 18, between Dale Evans Parkway & Standing Rock, Apple Valley; Negotiating Parties: Property Owner; Town Negotiator(s) -Town Manager. Negotiations involve both price and terms.