Southern California has experienced devastating wildfires for many years and in response to these tragedies Southern California Edison (SCE) has begun implementing Public Safety Power Shutoffs.
Public Safety Power Shutoffs are undertaken by SCE when potentially dangerous weather conditions arise. During these instances, SCE has begun proactively turning off power in high fire risk areas to reduce the threat of wildfires. Residents within an area scheduled for a shutoff will be notified directly by SCE as to when the shutoff will occur.
More information on SCE's Wildfire Mitigation Plan can be viewed here.
Due to these shutoffs taking place during high temperatures, the Town of Apple Valley would like to provide our residents with information on cooling centers in our area. Cooling centers are available for residents and are coordinated by United Way. For specifics on cooling centers, simply dial 211 within San Bernardino County.
For a list of cooling centers near you, visit http://wp.sbcounty.gov/dbh/blog/cooling-centers/
- Have a personal safety plan in place for every member of your household (including pets).
- Plan for any medical needs like medications that need to be refrigerated or devices that require power.
- Build or restock your emergency supply kit,including food, water, flashlights, a radio, fresh batteries, first aid supplies and cash.
- Identify backup charging methods for phones.
- Learn how to manually open your garage door.
- If you own a backup generator, ensure it is ready to safely operate.