The 2020 Mayor's Weight Loss Challenge!
On February 4th, the Town of Apple Valley will launch the fourth edition of its Mayor’s Weight Loss Challenge! The 2020 competition will encourage heart-healthy diet and exercise in connection with Heart Month.
The community campaign will ramp up about the same time as most individual's new year’s resolutions begin to lose energy. To spur the contestants into victory, the Mayor will lead the program with the first official weigh-in on February 4, followed by our Sweetheart Run on February 15! This challenge will also include monthly walks, hikes, and other fitness events at various parks throughout Town.
The Challenge kicks off on Tuesday, Feb 04 at 5:30 pm, in the Town Hall Conference Center.
Registration Deadline is Thursday, Feb 13.
- Must be a resident of, or work in, Apple Valley
- Must be 18 years of age or older by February 4, 2020
- Must record an initial weigh-in on one of below dates:
1) Feb 04, 5:30 - 7pm
2) Feb 12, 7:30 - 9am or 5:30 - 7pm in the Recreation Center
3) Feb 15 at the Sweetheart Run (details below)
*Must provide proof of residency or employment in the Town of Apple Valley (i.e. ID card, utility bill, etc.)
A Facebook group will keep members on track for monthly weigh-ins, upcoming events, and healthy recipes to try. Among other scheduled activities, members are invited to try out lap swimming for free at the Town’s Aquatic Center, and several participants will have the chance to win monthly passes for lap swimming and water fitness classes.
Sponsors and gyms in Apple Valley are encouraged to join the Town in helping participants get heart healthy, lose weight and earn prize money. Results and winners will be determined based on a total percentage of weight lost.
MWLC Challenger Info:
- All weigh-ins will take place at the Town Hall Conference Center 14795 Dale Evans Parkway. Drop in 7:30-9:00 a.m. or 5:30 pm or at our scheduled parks where you will have a chance to earn extra bonus points.
- Weigh-ins will be conducted by Town Staff, with records kept by the Town. Percent loss ranking of the top 25 men and top 25 women will be posted to the private Facebook group, beginning February 18th by first name and participant number only.
- Monthly weigh-in results are final.
- Contestants must weigh in once a month at the designated drop-in to be eligible for the additional percentage point.
- Your weigh-in attire must be consistent each month. Heavy jackets, shoes and boots will not be permitted during weigh-ins.
The Sweetheart Run is a fun run which will include heart healthy challenges throughout; this is FREE for Mayor's Weight Loss Participants. The Sweetheart Run is also the final opportunity to join the Weight Loss Challenge.