FrequentlyAsked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


1. What is zoning?

2. What is a setback?

3. What are my setbacks?

4. What's my zoning?

5. Do I have an easement on my property? 

6. Which is greater, a setback or easement?

7. Where can I get a zoning map?


8. What is Planning?

9. Do I need Planning Division approval for my project or event?

10. What's the streetside of my property?

11. Where can I find my property dimensions?

12. Where can I obtain a copy of the Development Code?

13. Where can I obtain a copy of the North Apple Valley Industrial Specific Plan (NAVISP)?


14. What is a General Plan?

15. How can I be involved in the planning process?

16. What is Measure N?

17. What are the protected native plants?


18. What are some of the ongoing projects in Apple Valley?

19. How many units can I put on my property?

20. How do I subdivide land?

21. How do I rezone my property?

22. What is a Specific Plan?

23. What are the parking requirements for my project?

24. Are there size restrictions for the sign on my commercial building?


25. Where do I get permits?

26. What is a Development Advisory Board meeting?

27. What is a Conditional Use Permit?

28. What are Conditions of Approval?

29. Can I get a Variance from the Development Code?

30. Do I need approval to operate a business within home?


31. Can I build more than one unit on my lot?

32. I have less than one acre, what kind of habitable accessory structure can I build?

33. Does the Town require fence/wall permits for my residence?

34. How high can a fence be around my house?

35. Can I put up chain-link fencing?

36. Where can I put a six-foot high solid fence?

37. How can I put a six-foot high fence in my front yard?

38. What's the highest solid fence I can put in my front setback?


1.  Zoning is a designation put on property within the Town's jurisdiction determining permitted land uses and development standards.

2. A setback is the distance from a property line to a structure.

3. Setbacks in the Town of Apple Valley are unique to every lot. Some setbacks were recorded with the original tract maps like the Apple Valley Ranchos, whereas other setbacks are specified within the Development Code based on Zoning designation.

4. For zoning information, acquire an Assessor's Parcel Number (APN), from the County Assessor's Office, (909)387-8307. Make sure to have your address handy. If you already have your APN then you can call the Town's Planning Division at (760)240-7000 Ext. 7200 or use the Zoning Map to find your zoning designation.

5. All easements, including public utility easements, are shown on recorded tract maps and on your title documents.

6. If a setback is greater than an easement, then the setback is applied. If an easement is greater than a setback, then the easement is applied.

7. Zoning maps are available online in .pdf format OR are available for purchase at Town Hall for $10.


8. The Planning Division is part of the Economic and Community Development Department, which regulates land uses and development.

9. Endeavors that involve development projects, signs, variances, special events, and removal of native plants all require Planning Division approval if they are to take place within Town limits. Applications can be downloaded from this site and are also available at the Planning Division during business hours. Contact the Planning Division if you don’t know which application you should file.

10. For corner lots, the streetside of your property is the longest property length facing the street regardless of how the house is oriented.

11. Property lines are shown either on a tract map or an assessor’s parcel map and are identified in the field by a licensed land surveyor.

12. The Development Code can be accessed from the Town’s website, under the Planning Division.

13. The Specific Plan can be downloaded from the Town’s website, under the Planning Division, or the CD is available to purchase at the Town Hall for $6.


14. A General Plan is the blueprint for how the Town will develop and the document includes goals, objectives, and policies put forth by the community regarding seven different elements; land use, circulation, housing, open space/conservation, safety, public facilities, and noise.

15. An excellent way to be involved and contribute comment regarding development is by attending Planning Commission meetings. The Planning Commission is a decision-making body with five (5) members, each appointed by a Town Council Member, which meets every first and third Wednesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. at Town Hall.  Meetings in progress, or past meetings, can also be conveniently viewed from your computer, as well as current and past agendas.

16. Measure N is a Town Ordinance that requires minimum lot sizes to be 18,000 square feet

17. The Protected Native Plant Ordinance, with a complete listing of protected plants, is downloadable from this site and is also available by calling or visiting the Planning Division during business hours. If you need help with plant identification, please consult the Planning Division staff.


18. The Planning Division lists projects of significance in the Development Activity Report available on our website or the Project Updates link.

19. The General Plan land use designation and zoning designation determine the maximum density allowed for a property.

20. Subdividing land requires a Tentative Parcel Map, for four (4) or fewer lots, or a Tentative Tract Map, for five (5) or more lots.

21. Rezoning requires a Zone Change and a General Plan Amendment.

22. A Specific Plan is a document governing development and land uses within a specified area.

23. Parking requirements vary depending on the square footage of the proposed non-residential use or the type of residential unit(s). The parking requirements can be downloaded from this site.

24. The sign requirements depend on the lineal footage of the building and property frontage. The sign requirements can be downloaded from this site. You need to obtain a Sign Permit from the Planning Division and a building permit from the Building and Safety Division.


25. Planning Division applications are available on our website or at Town Hall.

26. A Development Advisory Board meeting is an opportunity to hear the development guidelines and potential problems regarding a project from different agencies .

27. A Conditional Use Permit requires Planning Commission review and establishes Conditions of Approval for a specific land use on a specific property (i.e. bar/tavern, automotive repair).

28. Conditions of Approval are lists of requirements to which a project shall conform.

29. A Variance requires significant findings, of which economic difficulty is not considered, and Planning Commission approval, showing how a specific property while conforming to the Development Code, is unable to enjoy the same benefits of surrounding properties.

30. The Town required that home business operators obtain a Home Occupation Permit from the Planning Division. This permit specified any restrictions on the type and location of the business.


31. In order to qualify for a second dwelling unit you need at least one (1) acre in any residential district and must obtain a Special Use - Second Dwelling Unit Permit from the Planning Division. A second dwelling unit is considered an accessory use that has a maximum of two (2) bedrooms, one (1) bathroom, a minimum of 950 to 1200 square feet in size, and allows a kitchen.

32. The only other habitable structure allowed is a guest quarter that is a maximum of 400 square feet with no kitchen.

33. No , provided the wall is not a retaining wall.

34. Six (6)-foot solid around the side and rear property line and four (4)-foot solid when in the front setback.

35. Chain-link fencing is prohibited in front and streetside setbacks in Equestrian Residential (R-EQ) and Single Family Residential (R-SF) zoning designations for dwelling units constructed after June 7, 2007.

36. A six (6)-foot high solid fence can be placed along a side and rear property line, twelve feet from the right-of-way in a streetside setback, but not extend into a front setback.

37. A six (6)-foot high fence in a front setback needs to be decorative-open fencing and can be located up to five (5) feet from the front edge right-of-way.

38. 48 inches (4 feet).