APPLE VALLEY TOWN COUNCIL/
October 26, 2010
The Town Council/Redevelopment Agency Regular Meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m., with Closed Session items first and the remainder of the Regular Meeting immediately following. The meeting will occur in the Council Chambers located at 14955 Dale Evans Parkway in Apple Valley, California.
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION IS INVITED. Any member of the public may speak on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Council/Redevelopment Agency. If you wish to be heard on any item on the closed session or remaining items of this Regular Meeting agenda, including matters not on the agenda but within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Council/Redevelopment Agency, please so indicate by filling out a REQUEST TO SPEAK form and place the request in the Speaker Request Box on the table near the Town Clerk or hand to the Town Clerk at the beginning of the meeting or before the item or matter is heard. No action or discussion shall be undertaken on any item not appearing on the posted agenda, except that members of the Town Council/Redevelopment Agency or its staff may briefly respond to statements made or questions posed by persons exercising their public testimony rights under Section 54954.3. Public Comments are limited to three (3) minutes per speaker.
The Town of Apple Valley recognizes its obligation to provide equal access to those individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Town Clerk’s Office at (760) 240-7000 two working days prior to the scheduled meeting for any requests for reasonable accommodations.
Materials related to an item on this agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in the Town Clerk’s Office at 14955 Dale Evans Parkway, Apple Valley, CA during normal business hours. Such documents are also available on the Town of Apple Valley website at www.applevalley.org subject to staff’s ability to post the documents before the meeting.
CALL TO ORDER THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE TOWN COUNCIL/REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY MEETING – 6:30 p.m.
Coleman_____, Nassif_____, Roelle_____, Mayor Pro Tem Sagona_____, Mayor Allan_____.
(WHERE APPROPRIATE OR DEEMED NECESSARY, ACTION MAY BE TAKEN ON ANY ITEM LISTED IN THE AGENDA)
TOWN COUNCIL/REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY CLOSED SESSION
1. Closed Session
A. Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation under Government Code Section 54956.9(a) – Town of Apple Valley vs. High Desert Community Foundation Inc., San Bernardino Superior Court Case No. CIVSS 806940.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE:
Military Banner Presentation – Cristihan Flores (Marines)
2011 Calendar Award Winners – Sierra Webb
APPLE VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE – BUSINESS RETENTION UPDATE
HISPANIC CHAMBER OF COMMERCE UPDATE
COUNCILMEMBER COMMENTS AND COMMITTEE/COMMISSION PARTICIPATION
Boards, Committees and Commissions
TOWN COUNCIL ANNOUNCEMENTS
Suggested items for next agenda:
Time, Date & Place for Next Town Council Regular or Special Meeting:
A. Regular Meeting – Tuesday, November 9, 2010, 6:30 p.m. – Council Chambers
TOWN COUNCIL/REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY CONSENT AGENDA
Recommendation: Adopt all below listed items on the Consent Agenda in one motion. The Consent Agenda is composed of routine non-controversial items of business and will be adopted in whole in one motion unless a request is made by a Council Member to remove a specific item.
3. Change of Ownership, Release of Original Securities, Approve New Agreements and Securities for Tract Map 16134
1. Release the original street improvement securities for Tract 16134.
2. Find that the construction of various improvements required for Tract Map 16134 are complete.
3. Approve new securities and agreements reflecting 50% maintenance level security for the work that is completed, and 100% security for the remaining improvements yet to be completed. The adjusted securities and agreements will remain in place until all public improvements within Tract Map No. 16134 are complete and eligible for the one year maintenance period to begin, subject to approval as to form by the Town Attorney and as to content by the Town Manager.
4. Award Contract for the Central Road Widening Project
Award a contract to Sully-Miller Contracting Co., in the amount of $202,243.53, ($183,857.75 plus 10% for contingencies), for the Central Road Widening Project – Ottawa Road to Lucilla Road, subject to "Approval as to Form" by the Town Attorney and "Approval as to Content" by the Town Manager;
5. Treasurer’s Report – August 2010
Receive and file.
6. Payroll/Benefits Warrant Schedule – August 2010
Receive, ratify, and file the payroll/benefits warrants as presented.
7. Commercial Warrants Schedule – August 2010
Receive, ratify, and file the commercial warrants as presented.
8. Acceptance of Work, Notice of Completion and Release of Retention for the Town of Apple Valley Town Hall Annex and Conference Center
1. Accept the work of the attached two prime contractors for the work performed at the Town Hall Annex and Conference Center; release the total retention in the amount of $44,856.45. Direct the Town Clerk to file a Notice of Completion for their contract work, notify surety, exonerate bonds and notify prime contractors escrow account holders to release with held retention funds provide no claims are filed against the contractor or Town
2. Direct the Finance Director to release retained funds 30 days after the acceptance of work and filing of the Notice of Completion, or notify prime contractors escrow account holders to release the withheld retention funds provided no claims are filed against the contractor or Town.
REPORTS, REQUESTS AND COMMUNICATIONS
BUSINESS OF THE COUNCIL
9. Establishment of Consolidated Plan Priorities
That the Town Council approve the following list of Community Development Block Grant and HOME priorities, as established in the Strategic Plan, to be used as a guideline by the Community Development Citizens Advisory Committee in making funding recommendations to the Town Council for the 2011-2012 Action Plan.
1. Preserve the Existing Housing Stock (Single-Family Housing Rehabilitation)
2. Increase Affordable Homeownership Opportunities
3. Expand the Supply of Affordable Housing
4. Address Public Service Needs
5. Affirmatively Further Fair Housing to Ensure Equal Access to Housing Lower Income, Ethnic Minorities and Special Needs Groups (Fair Housing Program)
6. Provision of Public Facilities and Park Improvements
7. Create safer, more attractive and more accessible neighborhoods and stimulate economic growth through the improvement of infrastructure
10. A Resolution Of The Town Council Of The Town Of Apple Valley, California, Repealing Resolution Number 2007-03 And Creating Resolution No. 2010-49 Relating To Rules Of Procedure For Town Council Meetings And Related Functions And Activities.
Approve Resolution No. 2010-49, a Resolution of the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley, California, repealing Resolution Number 2007-03 and adopting Resolution Number 2010-49 Relating to Rules of Procedure for Town Council Meetings and related functions and activities.
11. Proposed Modified Holiday Schedule
That the Town Council adopt Resolution No. 2010-50, A Resolution of the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley approving a Modified Holiday Schedule for the Town of Apple Valley, closing Town Hall for all normal working days between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
The following item was added as an addendum to the agenda:
12. Initiation of a Development Code Amendment for Signage in the Village Area
Provide direction to staff.
TOWN MANAGER’S COMMENTS & LEGISLATIVE UPDATE
DEPARTMENTAL REPORTS AND BUSINESS:
Further Closed Session, if necessary and if not completed during the above 6:30 p.m. portion of this agenda, including any or all items described in that portion of this agenda. Reportable actions during closed session will be announced.