APPLE VALLEY TOWN COUNCIL/
MARCH 8, 2016
REGULAR SESSION BEGINS AT 6:30 P.M.
PLEASE SILENCE CELL PHONES AND PAGERS UPON ENTERING THE CHAMBER
The meeting will occur in the Council Chamber located at 14955 Dale Evans Parkway in Apple Valley, California.
This is an agenda for the scheduled meeting of the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley.
This agenda contains a brief description of each item of business to be considered at today’s meeting. In accordance with the Brown Act, this meeting agenda is posted at least 72 hours prior to the regularly scheduled meeting. The agenda, its supporting documents and all writings received by the Town Council related to these items are public records and available for review during regular business hours in the Town Clerk’s office in the Town Council Chamber. The agenda and its supporting documents, along with live and archived video of the meeting, can be viewed online at http://www.applevalley.org. However, the online agenda may not include all available supporting documents or the most current version of documents.
Materials related to an item on this agenda submitted to the Council after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection in the Town Clerk’s Office at 14955 Dale Evans Parkway, Apple Valley, CA during normal business hours. Such documents are also available on the Town of Apple Valley website at www.applevalley.org subject to staff’s ability to post the documents before the meeting.
Items listed on the Consent Calendar are expected to be routine and non-controversial and, unless the Town Council directs that an item be held for further discussion, the entire Consent Calendar will be acted upon as the first item of business. If the Town Council directs that an item listed on the Consent Calendar be held for further discussion, the item will be addressed immediately after approval of the Consent Calendar.
In accordance with the Rules of Procedure, members of the public may address the Town Council on any item on the agenda and on any matter that is within the Town Council’s jurisdiction. To address the Town Council regarding an item, complete and submit the yellow card entitled Request to Speak. Please indicate on the card whether you are speaking under Public Comments or on an item that is listed on the agenda and please list the item number.
When called, approach the podium and if desired, please state your name before giving your presentation. Speakers may address the Town Council for up to three (3) minutes. Speakers are to address the Town Council as a whole through the Presiding Officer. Comments to individual Council Members and/or staff are not permitted.
Individuals, who demonstrate disruptive conduct during Town Council meetings that prevent the Town Council from conducting its meeting in an orderly manner, are guilty of a misdemeanor as stated in PC403, disrupting a public meeting and are subject to removal from the chamber or arrest.
The Town of Apple Valley recognizes its obligation to provide equal access to those individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Town Clerk’s Office at (760) 240-7000 two working days prior to the scheduled meeting for any requests for reasonable accommodations.
TOWN COUNCIL REGULAR SESSION
CALL TO ORDER THE REGULAR SESSION OF THE TOWN COUNCIL MEETING – 6:30 p.m.
Bishop _____, Cusack _____, Emick _____, Mayor Pro Tem Nassif _____, Mayor Stanton _____.
(WHERE APPROPRIATE OR DEEMED NECESSARY, ACTION MAY BE TAKEN ON ANY ITEM LISTED IN THE AGENDA)
Minister James Campbell, JC Enterprises
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE:
Knights of Columbus, Lena Quinonez, Recreation Supervisor
Update – Economic Development, Orlando Acevedo, Economic Development Manager
COUNCILMEMBER COMMITTEE/COMMISSION PARTICIPATION
Boards, Committees and Commissions
TOWN COUNCIL ANNOUNCEMENTS
Suggested items for future agenda:
Time, Date & Place for Next Town Council Regular or Special Meeting:
A. Regular Meeting – Tuesday, March 22, 2016 – Council Chamber
Regular Session at 6:30 p.m.
TOWN COUNCIL CONSENT AGENDA
Recommendation: Adopt all below listed items on the Consent Agenda in one motion. The Consent Agenda is composed of routine non-controversial items of business and will be adopted in whole in one motion unless a request is made by a Council Member to remove a specific item.
1. Approval of Minutes of the Town Council
A. Special Meeting – February 8, 2016
B. Regular Meeting – February 23, 2016
Approve the subject minutes as part of the consent agenda.
2. January 2016 Commercial Warrants Schedule
That the Town Council receive, ratify and file the Commercial Warrants Schedule as presented.
3. January 2016 Payroll/Benefits Warrants Schedule
That the Town Council receive, ratify and file the Payroll/Benefits Warrants as presented.
4. Treasurer’s Report – January 2016 and Schedules of Revenues, Expenditures and Changes in Fund Balance for the Parks and Recreation Fund and the Apple Valley Golf Course Fund
That Town Council receive and file the January 2016 Treasurer’s Report.
5. Review Bid Documents for Restoration Landscape Maintenance and Monitoring Services for Yucca Loma Road/Yates Road/Green Tree Boulevard Transportation Improvement Project Re-Establishing Site
1. That the Town Council review and approve the bid documents for Restoration Landscape Maintenance and Monitoring Services for Yucca Loma Road, Yates Road and Green Tree Boulevard Transportation Improvement Re-Establishment Site – Project no. PW2016-01;
2. That the Town Council authorize staff to advertise and solicit bids for maintenance of said project.
6. Adopt Ordinance No. 484, An Ordinance of the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley, California, Amending Chapter 12.20, entitled “Special Speed Limits” of Title 12 of the Town of Apple Valley Municipal Code
Adopt Ordinance No. 484
7. Request to Vacate a Road Easement on Parcel Map 11292
That the Town Council:
1. Find that the road easement as shown on Parcel Map 11292, has:
(a) For a period of five consecutive years, the street or highway has been impassable for vehicular travel and;
(b) No public money was expended for maintenance on the street or highway during such period.
2. Adopt Resolution No. 2016-07 “A Resolution of the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley, California, vacating a road easement on Parcel Map 11292, pursuant to the Streets and Highways Code Section 8331.”
3. Direct the Town Clerk to cause the Resolution vacating the road easement to be recorded in the office of the County Recorder of the County of San Bernardino, pursuant to Section 8336 of the Streets and Highways Code.
8. Adopt a Resolution Authorizing the Emergency Services Officer or Designee to Apply and Access Grant Documents on Behalf of the Town of Apple Valley and Receive and Ratify the Memorandum of Understanding Between the City of Riverside Office of Emergency Management and the Town of Apple Valley Office of Emergency Preparedness
1. Adopt Resolution No. 2016-08 A Resolution of the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley, California Authorizing the Emergency Services Officer or Designee to Apply and Access Grant Documents for the Town of Apple Valley.
2. That the Town Council receive, ratify, and file the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the City of Riverside Office of Emergency Management and the Town of Apple Valley regarding Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) Grant Funding.
REPORTS, REQUESTS AND COMMUNICATIONS
BUSINESS OF THE COUNCIL
9. Discussion on Digital Signs
That the Town Council receive and file the report and provide direction to staff as appropriate.
10. Vacancy on the Parks and Recreation Committee
Council Member Cusack to nominate: ___________________ to the Town of Apple Valley Parks and Recreation Committee.
TOWN MANAGER’S COMMENTS & LEGISLATIVE UPDATE
DEPARTMENTAL REPORTS AND BUSINESS
11. Closed Session
A. Conference with Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation – Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to Paragraph (2) of subdivision (d) of Section 54956.9: one or more potential cases.
B. Conference with Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation – Initiation of litigation pursuant to Paragraph (4) of subdivision (d) of Section 54956.9: one or more potential cases.
C. Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation – Pursuant to Paragraph (1) of subdivision (d) of Government Code Section 54956.9, Case Name: Application No. 14-11-013 Joint Application of Liberty Utilities Co., Liberty WWH, Inc., Western Water Holdings, LLC, Park Water Company (U314W), and Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company (U346W) for Authority for Liberty Utilities Co. to Acquire and Control Park Water Company and Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company.
D. Conference with Real Property Negotiators – Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.8. Property: Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company; Authority Negotiator: Town Manager; Negotiating Parties: Liberty Utilities Co., Liberty WWH, Inc., Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp., Park Water Company, Western Water Holdings LLC, Tony Penna, General Manager, Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company; Under Negotiation: Price and Terms of Payment.
E. Negotiations with Real Property Negotiator – Parcel Number: 3112-181-01 located at Highway 18, between Dale Evans Parkway & Rancherias Road, Apple Valley; Negotiating Parties: 360 Apple West, LLC; Town Negotiator(s) - Town Manager. Negotiations involve both price and terms.
F. Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation – Pursuant to Paragraph (1) of subdivision (d) of Government Code Section 54956.9, Case No.: CIVDS1517935 - Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company vs. Town of Apple Valley Et Al.
G. Conference with Legal Counsel – Existing Litigation – Pursuant to Paragraph (1) of subdivision (d) of Government Code Section 54956.9, Case No.: CIVDS1600180 – Town of Apple Valley vs. Apple Valley Ranchos Water Company Et Al.
H. Personnel Matters – Government Code Section 54957/Public Employee Performance Evaluation. Title: Town Manager